On Friday, I posted an April Fools list of five ways to change your organization today. Here’s the real one.
The following are five things you can do today to move the needle toward positive change in your organization:
- Say the thing that needs to be said. Everyone already knows it, but until it’s out in the open, nothing can be done about it.
- Break the mold. Do something unexpected to shatter the status quo. Being the first to do something uncomfortable gives other people license to do the same.
- Help someone out. Take part of the load off someone who is struggling so they are freer to provide energy and time to the change.
- Seek to understand. Start a conversation with someone who seems to be resisting with the sole intent to learn about and appreciate their perspective.
- Do the difficult thing you’ve been putting off. Despite your better wishing, the organization is not going to change itself. Stop procrastinating and do that thing you keep saying you’ll do tomorrow.