Does your role include changing the way other people work – their processes, behaviors, priorities, attitudes, relationships and ultimately, their results?
To make the impact you want, you must be able to influence change at work.
While you can implement change from anywhere in an organization, for some roles, changing how people do their work is a core aspect of your job. Are you in one of these change roles?
- Project Management
- Human Resources, Learning and Development
- Information Technology, Business Analysis
- Process Improvement, Lean Six Sigma
- Strategic Planning, Strategy Execution
- Change Management, Organizational Effectiveness, or Organization Development
Whatever your role, as a change agent you need to influence others to embrace different ways of working.
The position of internal change agent – wherever it falls in the organization – can be a tricky one. Consider these challenges:
- You are responsible for influencing the organization, usually without the direct authority to do so.
- You need the leaders who do have authority to champion the project, even though they either don’t think they need to, don’t know how, or don’t have time to do it well.
- All the while, you are changing the organization at the same time that you are working within it. You are subject to the same culture and processes that help you succeed in the workplace – even though you want to change them now.
- Plus, you need to keep track of and implement all the moving parts and levers that you are using to cause the organization to move forward one inch at a time.
And yet, despite (perhaps even because of) the daunting task ahead of you, you have hope for the future and want to help the organization get there. Not just because someone has to do it – but because you want to make sure it gets done.
If you’re ready to make an impact at work, here are some ways I can help:
Attend an in-person or online workshop to learn practical ways to increase your influence and implement change at work. Regular classes include Fundamentals of Change Management, a 3-day workshop that fulfills the training requirement for ACMP’s Certified Change Management Professional designation. Learn more >
Ramp up the change capability of your team with my practical workshops. Whether you want a quick dose with a lunch and learn, a 1-2 day full immersion, or somewhere in between, your team will gain tools and knowledge they can use immediately and for years to come. By the time we are done, your team will have already learned and accomplished a lot, and will also be set up for future success. Learn more >
Crank up your influence and give your change initiative a boost with the Influence Accelerator Coaching Program! We’ll work together one-on-one over the course of three months to get you and your initiative unstuck. With my support and insight behind you, your coworkers will think you recently started eating Wheaties for breakfast. Learn more >
Add to your personal change agent toolkit with my do-it-yourself change guides. These resources are not your typical theory-laden textbook. Instead, they provide you with practical ways you can design and influence change in your own organization. After reading the first few pages, you will wish you had had these much earlier in your career. Learn more >